Workshop: Inhomogeneous Cosmologies, August 15-19 2011
A workshop on Inhomogeneous Cosmologies will be held in Jyväskylä, Finland in August 15-19, 2011. The main theme of the workshop will be the effect of matter inhomogeneities on observables: can inhomogeneities explain away dark energy and/or how do the large-scale structures affect observations.
In particular, we will focus on:
non-Copernican (void) and Copernican models for inhomogeneous universes
averaging in cosmology
weak lensing and selection effects
Observational status of large-scale structure
We welcome suggestions for additional topics.
Please note that the number of participants is limited to about 30. To request an invitation, please send us an email.
One day of the workshop (wednesday 17th) will be dedicated to informal discussions and social activities, including a ship cruise on the lake Päijänne with barbecue, swimming and sauna.
Helsinki-Vantaa airport to Jyväskylä:
A general video guide (3:37) can be found here.
A cheap and fast way to get to Jyvaskyla is as follows:
1. Take the bus 61 to Tikkurila railway station leaving from the platform 22 just outside the terminal. The right column in the timetable is for airport --> railway station, the one on the left is for railway station --> airport. The Tikkurila connection is fastest, but if you like, there are several buses that get you to Helsinki railway station instead.
2. Take a train from Tikkurila or Helsinki to Jyvaskyla (3-4 h). Here is the train timetable.
3. From Jyvaskyla railway station to the Alba hotel is a pleasant walk along the lakeshore (1.8 km): see blue path in the map. You can also take a cab from the railway station to the hotel.
From Helsinki-Vantaa airport it is also be possible to fly to Jyväskylä. If you do so, we advise to take a cab from Jyväskylä airport to the Alba hotel. It costs approximately 30 euros.
A larger Jyvaskyla city map is available here
Tampere-Pirkkala airport to Jyväskylä
2. Take a train from Tampere to Jyvaskyla (about 2 h). The train timetable is here.
3. From Jyvaskyla railway station to hotel Alba see above.
Please do not hesitate to ask us for assistance, by sending an email to us.
We will be able to cover the local expenses including the accommodation for the invited participants and the cruise and the workshop dinner (barbecue) for everybody. We expect that participants can cover their travel expenses.
Kari Enqvist, University of Helsinki
Kimmo Kainulainen, University of Jyväskylä
Valerio Marra, University of Jyväskylä
Syksy Räsänen, University of Helsinki